Looking for an instant answer to a question?
Have a question about MySHIFTPLANNER? There is a good chance you can find the answer you’re looking for in our top frequently asked questions below:
MyShiftPlanner is a free app designed to help shift workers keep track of their working patterns as easily as possible.
It's really easy to set up your pattern - regardless of how complicated it may be, and colours each type of shift so you can easily see on a colour-coded calendar what you'll be working at any time.
You can add your holidays, overtime, on-call, pay days, training days, sick days and more to check against your pay slip. You can also add notes to any day, and record your actual worked hours.
The easiest way to see what MyShiftPlanner is and how it works is to download it and try it for yourself.
Our MyShiftPlanner app for shift workers is completely free to download and use without any time limits.
Unless it explicitly says otherwise, all features are free to use without time limits.
So how do we make any money to continue developing it? That's why we show ads at the bottom of the app. These generate some of the income we need, though if you prefer, you can pay a small fee to remove the ad banner.
In future we will also be offering premium features which you can purchase or subscribe to within MyShiftPlanner.
All the features that are currently free to use will continue to be and we'll continue to add other free features in future updates. The premium features will be totally optional, so you only need to buy them if you feel they are valuable enough to you.
No problem! We offer a free support service and it's really easy to send us a message.
1. You can send us a message from inside the app.
MyShiftPlanner comes complete with an in-built feedback form for you to use:
a. Tap on the menu button in the top-left corner of the screen
b. Choose Feedback
c. Fill in your name, choose the type of feedback/question you have and enter some details about it
This is also great for support as you can use the private messaging to ask questions and offer feedback.
3. Email us directly
Or if you prefer to, you can just email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
We aim to get back to you within 8 hours during working days, or by the next working day if sent at the weekend.
We're always happy to hear from our users, including suggestions for new features you'd like to see in MyShiftPlanner.
It's also worth getting in touch as the feature might already be available, and we can help you find and use it.
Use the Feedback option in the menu of the MyShiftPlanner app to get in touch, or message us via our Facebook page.
Our support team are here to help, so please don't be afraid to get in touch with us!
We treat data security very seriously, and handle your data with the same care and consideration you'd want us to.
We hate being spammed by unwanted emails so have no intention of doing the same to you.
What DO we collect and why?
We only ask for the minimum information we consider necessary to provide the best experience. Most of this is optional (such as your profession) so completely up to you whether you want to tell us or not.
To use our cloud and sharing features (such as the highly recommended on-line backup for your shifts and settings), you will need to provide your email address which is use as a unique username for your account. This is paired with a password that you choose to make sure your account and data stay secure. Never tell anyone your password!
When signing up, you are asked if you wish to receive our newsletter and other important information from us by email. You have the option to opt-out at any time from within the app too so really easy to control this.
If you choose to use our backup facility, your backups are stored in our secure cloud system against your account so can't be accessed by anyone but you (using your registered email and password). We monitor all activity too, so if we spot anything suspicious we can deal with it quickly.
If you have any questions about data security please email our support team who'll be happy to answer them for you: email@example.com
1. Tap on the day you'd like to add notes to
2. Tap on the Notes button in the toolbar (at the top)
3. Type your notes into the Notes box and tap on the back button (top-left) when you're finished
Once you've added notes to a day, a small star icon shows against the day so you can easily see which days have notes.
There are 3 view options you can choose for your calendar:
1. Colour Only - removes all shift names and times leaving just the day number and icons
2. Shift Names - shows only the shift name (code) - e.g. "Nights"
3. Shift Times - shows only the shift times and no code - e.g. 8-6
Tap on the calendar button in the top-right of the screen to show the calendar menu.
You'll see 3 buttons at the top of this menu, one for each of the options described above.
Just tap on one and it'll be applied immediately.
MyShiftPlanner includes a Cloud Backup service you can use to back up your data, and even be used to copy your calendar to another device (such as if you have an iPhone and iPad and would like to keep them in sync).
To use this service, you need to register with a valid email address* from within the MyShiftPlanner app. Once you've done this, you can backup and restore as often as you like.
Getting set up is really easy:
- Tap on the menu button in the top-left corner of the screen
- Tap on "Backup or Restore Data"
- A menu will appear - if this is the first time, tap on "Configure", otherwise you can directly back up or restore from here too
- The Backup Settings screen appears. Tap Turn On Backups to show all the configuration settings
- Enter your email address and a password (at least 6 characters, including a number and capital letter)
- Tap Register if you don't already have an account or Login if you do
Once you've successfully registered or logged in, you can back up or restore from in this screen too using the buttons at the bottom.
Please note: Your data won't automatically be backed up each time you make a change, so you'll need to remember to use the Backup option in the menu after making changes to make sure your backups are the latest.
* Note: The email address must be a real one as it's used if you forget your password. However, we're very passionate about security and our user's peace of mind so will never pass your email address to anyone else. We just use it to secure your MyCloud account, send password reset emails if you need us to, and optionally (you choose this) add you to our newsletter to send occasional news about on new features, hints, tips and tutorials that might be of interest to you.
To keep our systems and your data secure, we require that all passwords follow secure password rules. These are common in most on-line systems and avoid people accidentally using easy-to-hack passwords for their data.
Password in MyShiftPlanner must follow these rules:
- At least 6 characters in length
- Must contain a capital letter
- Must contain either a space, a number or exclamation mark (!) or question mark (?)
Some examples of valid passwords are:
Tips for picking secure passwords:
- Avoid using your name in the password - it's easy to guess
- Avoid using words like "password", "myshiftplanner" or anything easy to guess
- Avoid using parts of your email address in your password
- Join multiple words together to make longer passwords - e.g. ThisMightBeAGoodOne?!
- The longer the password, the better
If you're unsure, please contact our support team: firstname.lastname@example.org
Using the Share My Calendar option in the calendar menu, you can send the current month of your calendar to someone else.
1. Tap on the calendar menu icon in the top-right corner of the screen
2. Tap on the Share My Calendar option at the bottom of the menu
3. You'll be shown the Sharing Panel with all the ways you can share your calendar, including Email, SMS, Facebook and more. Pick the one you'd like to use.
This will take a snapshot of your monthly calendar and send it via the app you choose as an image with the same colour coding you can see in MyShiftPlanner.
Note: We're continuously adding new features to MyShiftPlanner, and will be extending the Sharing support with Live Sharing features in the near future.
We provide 14+ different shift types which cover the most common ones, but they're fully customisable so can easily be changed.
1. Tap on the calendar menu icon in the top-right corner of the screen
2. Tap on the Customise Your Shifts option at the bottom of the menu
3. You'll be taken to a list of all shift types in the app. To change one, tap on it.
4. For all shift types, you can change the shift name and "show as" (how it appears in the calendar), the colour, the default start/finish times for that shift and whether you can to use it at all or not
5. Tap on the Back button (at the top-left of the screen) when you're done and it'll instantly change
Answers to a few more common questions about customising shifts:
Can I add more shifts than those listed?
Not yet. We provide 12 pre-defined shifts and 3 extra ones you can customise however you like but you can't add more than 15 at the moment.
Can I remove any extra ones I don't use? It clutters up the Shift Picker!
Absolutely! To hide a shift type, customise the shift as described above and tick the Don't Use This Shift option.
It'll stay in the customisation menu if you want to use it in future, but will be hidden everywhere else.
My shift normally starts at the same time, but as a one-off it'll start earlier. How do I put that into MyShiftPlanner?
This is really easy to do. First, customise your shifts as described above and set the normal start/finish times against each shift type (e.g. 09:00 - 17:00 for the day shift).
When you're back in the calendar, tap on the day that starts differently to select it, tap on the Edit Notes button at the top of the screen to see the Day Properties screen.
In here you'll see the start and finish times for your shift which you can change. Any changes to the times only affect this particular day.
MyShiftPlanner is available for the following:
iPhone 4S or later running iOS 8.0
iPad 2 or later running iOS 8.0
Android phones or tablets running Android v4.1 (Jelly Bean) or later
Note: ARMv7, ARM 64-bit or Intel processors required (which are in most phones and tablets)
We don't currently support Windows or Blackberry phones but these are on our roadmap any support may be added in a future release if there's enough demand.
In MyShiftPlanner v3.3, we've added Continental patterns into our pre-built list, so it's easier than ever to set this up!
If the Pattern Setup screen, choose Continental Pattern from the list, and simple choose the 3 shift types you do in this pattern. Pick the day that this pattern starts from and it'll calculate it all for you!
We can support almost any type of shift pattern, and have different tools and tricks for getting the most complex of patterns set up easily in the app.
To get specific help for setting up your pattern, we recommend contacting our expert support team who'll be able to give you instructions for your pattern.
If you fancy doing this yourself first, there are a number of ways to do it. If you have up to 20 shifts in your pattern, the easiest way is to use the "Change pattern" option in the calendar menu, choose "other pattern" and how many shifts you need. You can then set up your list of shifts and how many days you're working for each shift.
Alternatively you can set your shift up manually, and use our "Rotate your pattern" tool to copy it through your calendar. This is a more advanced topic so we suggest asking our support team for assistance.
We're currently working on an exciting new version of MyShiftPlanner for teams and businesses which we plan to launch soon.
We'd love to talk to you about this and we can offer early access, so please get in touch using the link below.
MyShiftPlanner is a free app containing great features anyone can use. Not everyone needs all great new features so to avoid over-saturating the app, we've made them available in bundle packs that can be optionally added if you need them.
The current packs available are the Hard Workers pack containing shift reminders, annual leave tracking and work time reports.
There is a small charge to add a pack, which is paid just once and will instantly turn on the features.
Add-on features are available in Packs, so you get multiple great features for one purchase.
We have plans for new packs which will available soon but currently available are:
** Hard Workers Pack **
This contains features for those who want to get more from their shift working, and includes:
- Shift reminders - flexible reminder features. Set reminders for shift types (e.g. All nights, days, mornings etc), set unique reminders for individual days and pick from a selection of 6 reminder sounds
- Work Time Report - see a summary report of hours worked for each shift type, how much overtime and annual leave taken during any period. You can even email an Excel spreadsheet of this report to yourself for printing or sending to your manager
- Annual Leave Tracking - see how many days you have remaining this year, how many you've taken and a full list of all days you've taken
** Live Sharing Pack **
This contains great collaboration features, such as giving your partner/colleague/family access to see your MyShiftPlanner calendar. It also give great tools to check for common days off (to plan a break) and more.
To add one of the new Add-On packs, simply tap on the menu button in the top-left of the main screen. At the bottom of the menu is the option to "Add More Features".
In here you simply tap on the pack you want to purchase and tap "Buy Now".
Note: If you've bought a pack in the past and have a new phone, you can buy it again as described here but won't be charged as you already have it.
If you have an Android device, just reinstalling MyShiftPlanner is enough to turn on any features you've previously purchased as it does it automatically for you.
On Apple, this isn't automatic but easy to do.
Tap on the menu icon in the top-left of the main screen in MyShiftPlanner to show the menu. At the bottom is the option to Restore Purchases.
Tap this and enter your iTunes password. Once this has been correctly done, you'll see a message to let you know that your previously bought items have been restored and are available to use.
No, as long as you're logged into the iPhone and iPad with the same iTunes account. As with all other apps you buy, you buy it for an iTunes account not a specific device, so just use the Restore Purchases option in the MyShiftPlanner menu to turn on the features on both devices.
Reminders can be set for a shift type (e.g. The same for all Night shifts) and changed for individual days if you need to, so really flexible.
To set up a reminder for a specific shift type:
- tap on the calendar icon in the top-right of the man screen
- tap on Set Reminders in the menu
- in the Reminders menu you can turn reminders off completely (for all shifts), set the reminder sound and change individual shift reminders
- choose the shift you want to change and tap on it
- Change the reminder time, the message that will show and even turn off reminders for a specific shift in here
All changes you make apply straight away
Tap on day you wish to change in the calendar, then tap on the Day Properties icon (3rd from the right at the top).
You will see a Reminders button at the top of this page. Tapping on it will show the reminder options for that day.
To override the default reminder settings (the ones set for the shift type), tap the "Custom reminder for this day" option to show all the options you can change.
Any changes you make here only affect this specific day
If you need to disable the reminders for all shifts - maybe while off sick or on extended leave - you can do this in 2 ways:
1. Tap on the "Bell" button at the bottom-left of the main screen
2. Tap on the Calendar icon in the top-right to show the calendar menu. Tap on "Set Reminders" and turn off the switch at the top of this screen
To turn all reminders back on again later, just reverse this process. Note - turning reminders on or off like this DOESN'T lose any reminder settings on individual days so you don't need to set them all up again.
The first thing to check is that you have your volume turned up - it's easy to have this silenced without realising it.
If you have an iPhone, check the "silence" switch on the side isn't switched off - this is easy to catch in your pocket.
Next, go into the "Set Reminders" area in MyShiftPlanner's calendar menu (button in the top-right of the main screen). In here, tap on the play button next to the reminder sound option and check you can hear it ok.
If all this still doesn't work, check your Notification settings in your Settings app of your phone. Scroll all the way to the MyShiftPlanner app in the list (it's a long way down), and in the Notifications area, check that "Enable Sounds" is turned on.
If you need further help with reminder issues, please contain our support team at email@example.com
There are a few reasons this might be happening, but most common is that you've disabled Notifications for MyShiftPlanner in your phone settings. The Reminders feature requires you to allow Notifications to be used. To turn them on for iPhone or iPad, here's how:
- Tap on the device home button to go back to your home screen
- Find and tap on the Settings app
- Scroll all the way down to near the bottom (it could be a long list) and find "MyShiftPlanner". Tap on it
- Tap on "Notifications" below the "Allow MyShiftPlanner to Access" heading
- You need to turn ON the following:
* Allow Notifications
* Show in Notification Centre
* Sounds (if you want to hear the reminder sound - it might not wake you if not)
* Show on Lock Screen
- In the Alert Style section at the bottom we recommend Banner or Alerts is tapped depending on how you wish to see your reminders
- Tap back to go back to your home screen
Once you've check the above, if your reminders still aren't showing, we suggest containing our support team so they can work with you to fix this. Support@myshiftplanner.co.uk
The Work Time report works off the actual hours you've worked, so it's important to record this accurately.
You record this in the Day Properties against each individual day:
- Tap on the day you want to record against
- Tap on the Day Properties/Notes button (3rd from the right at the top)
- In here you can set the actual start and finish time you worked for this shift, the amount of unpaid breaks (e.g. Lunch) that you did and it automatically calculates the number of worked hours for you.
- If you've worked overtime, you can also enter the details in here too
All details you enter are updated in the Work Time Report instantly
If you want to send your report to your boss to help calculate your pay, it's really easy.
At the top of the Work Time Report is a button for "Email It". Tap this and choose whether you want to email the full report, or just the page you're looking at (e.g. Overtime, Normal Hours or Holidays Taken)
This opens an email in your email app and has the report attached as an Excel spreadsheet, ready to send.
Annual leave tracking (and setting your allowance) are part of the Hard Workers Pack so you need to make sure you've purchased this first.
After this, go into the menu by tapping on the button in the top-left of the main screen.
Now tap "Settings and Shifts" at the top of this menu
Finally tap on the "Holiday Entitlements" option.
In here you can set the number of days you receive at the start of the year and when your holiday year begins from.
In here you can also see how many days you've taken in the year, how many you have remaining and a list of all the days you've taken in the current holiday year
We have some great sharing features coming up in the next few updates but did you know that you can share your calendar and settings between your own devices already?
We have an on-line backup facility in MyShiftPlanner which you can use to keep your settings and calendar secure. To use this, you need to create a free MyShiftPlanner account using your email address. Once you have this and have made a backup, you can restore this onto any other device.
This is a great way to synchronise your calendar between multiple devices or with someone else's device as long as they aren't also working shifts.
In summary, the quickest way to synchronise your settings and calendar across multiple devices is:
- Tap on the menu button (top-left of the screen) in MyShiftPlanner and choose Backup/Restore Data and Configure
- Enter your email address and a secure password and Register
- This will create a MyShiftPlanner account - remember your password!
- Tap on Backup now to create a backup of your data
- On your other device, install MyShiftPlanner (if not already) and open it. Skip the setup if you haven't opened it before.
- Repeat step 1 - tap on the menu button, Backup/Restore Data and Configure
- Enter the same email address and password into the boxes and tap Login
- This will link the 2 devices together. Now tap Restore Last Backup to copy the calendar and settings onto the second device
- Your MyShiftPlanner will update and be identical to the first device
Note: If you make a change to your shifts or settings on one device, you'll need to manually do a backup and restore through MyShiftPlanner to copy the changes to the other devices.
Do you still have questions? Please Get in touch and our support team will answer anything you’d like to know.
Get more from MySHIFTPLANNER with our free training
We offer free on-line video training, hints and tips to help you get the most from MyShiftPlanner. Like our Facebook page to be kept up-to-date with the latest videos and tips as we post them!